Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm writing about Somali weddings and culture for my RAP. I'm using how Somali wedding,culture differ from western countris article to suport my primary text.Engulfed by decades of civil strife, Somalia, located in the heart of Horn of African, has seen almost half of its seven million population scattered across the globe with most ending up in the western world. Somalis are Muslims and most of their culture comes from their religion. Traditional weddings are part of their lives but the trends on how they conduct the ceremonies have changed.The picture on the left are Somali women dancing in Somali  Traditional Wedding in Nairobi,Kenya.“Weddings are very important occasions for Somali communities where ever they are in the world”.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a very interesting topic. Traditions in different cultures are very fun to hear about. How these traditions are part of their lives just as ours are. You should have fun with this topic

    Nick Engel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nick that this topic is very interesting and meaningful. Readers will certainly learn a lot from your work, Mariam!

    I also like the quote at the end of this post. Where did that come from? It seems like it could be a great secondary source for your project.

    There are certainly larger conversations occurring about Somali culture and then also weddings and culture more generally, and it seems like your work can add meaningfully to those conversations. I hope your secondary source research has allowed you to do that!

    ReplyDelete